Am I Drinking Enough Water?
We all know how important water is, it’s the one thing that is always said when you say about a headache/feeling ill.
“Have you drunk any water?”
“Have you drunk enough water?”
“Do you want some water?”
The reality of it is that whether you are trying to lose weight, gain muscle, or just live a healthier lifestyle overall water is one of the best tools to help you do so! But don’t worry, you are not the only one who is in this spot and hopefully we can help you!
So, the main question is: How much water should you drink? The general recommendation is to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, which is about 2 litres or half a gallon. However, this amount can vary depending on factors like your age, weight, activity level, and climate. For example, if you are a person who trains at a high intensity 5+ times a week, you will be sweating more than average which will make you dehydrated, so you may need to go above the 2-litre mark on training days to 3 or maybe even 4!
If you are still struggling to get to that 2-litre mark, here are some helpful tips:
- Carry a water bottle with you: This can be a helpful reminder to drink water throughout the day. This does not mean you have to go and buy one of those huge jugs, a standard shaker will only need to be filled 2 ½ times to reach 2-litres.
- Set reminders: Use your phone or a reminder app to remind you to drink water at regular intervals.
- Drink water before meals: This can help you feel fuller and may prevent overeating and making you feel bloated.
- Eat water-rich foods: Foods like watermelon, cucumber, and lettuce are high in water content and can help you stay hydrated.
- Flavor your water: If you find plain water boring, add some flavour with fresh fruit, herbs, or a slice of lemon or lime. You can even add in a no sugar squash throughout your day, this is what we do
- Listen to your body: Thirst is a good indicator of when you need to drink water. If you're feeling thirsty, it's a sign that your body needs more fluids.
Now that you know the recommended amount and some tips to reach that, you may be wondering; “What are the benefits of drinking water?”. Well, let us tell you:
- Brain Function
- Metabolizing Fat
- Regulating Body Temperature
- Proper Joint Function
- Nutrient Delivery
- Hunger Cues
Drinking enough water is essential for maintaining good health. Water makes up about 60% of the human body, and it plays a crucial role in many bodily functions, such as regulating body temperature, transporting nutrients and oxygen to cells, and flushing waste products out of the body. As we have mentioned above, water is your friend and will always be there to help!
If you don't drink enough water, you can become dehydrated, which can cause a range of health problems, including fatigue, headaches, constipation, and even more serious conditions like kidney stones and heat stroke. This will then not only affect your performance in your day-to-day life but also your performance in your training sessions, whether that is running, walking or lifting weights.
In summary drinking water and remaining hydrated throughout your day should be at the top of your list for every day life. Drinking enough water is crucial for good health. Make it a habit to drink water throughout the day, and use these tips to help you stay hydrated. Your body will thank you!
Hopefully this blog helps with planning water intake and further showing just how important it is! If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to leave a comment on this blog!
Have a great day!